This collection of research articles authored by staff from HRSA-funded Health Workforce Research Centers (HWRCs) are published together as an open access supplement in the Medical Care Research and Review journal, providing a comprehensive picture of the US health care and health support workforce today.
Below are the individual articles from the supplement:
COVID-19 and the Health Workforce
- This commentary describe the articles included in the health workforce research supplement and how the issues raised by the authors relate to the COVID-19 pandemic and rapidly changing health care environment.
The Evolving Role of Medical Assistants in Primary Care Practice: Divergent and Concordant Perspectives from MAs and Family Physicians
- This article surveyed MAs and family physicians for evidence of role confusion between MAs and physicians, physician resistance to delegate tasks to properly trained MAs, or MA reluctance to pursue training to take on new roles.
The Impact of Nurse Delegation Regulations on the Provision of Home Care Services: A 4-State Case Study
- This article explores how home care workers and the agencies that employ them interact with their state’s nurse practice act in the provision of care.
Understanding Why Nurse Practitioner and Physician Assistant Productivity Varies Across Community Health Centers: A Comparative Qualitative Analysis
- This article explores why the productivity of APCs varies across CHCs, as measured in their marginal contribution to overall patient visits.
Variation in Employment of Therapy Assistants in Skilled Nursing Facilities Based on Organizational Factors
- This article examines the relationships between organizational characteristics of skilled nursing facilities and employment of therapy assistants.
Dental Workforce Trends: A National Study of Gender Diversity and Practice Patterns
- This study analyzed gender differences in dental practice using the American Dental Association’s 2010-2016 Masterfile and the 2017 Survey of Dental Practice.
Citation: Health workforce journal supplement. Med Care Res Rev. 2021;78(1)(suppl).